Today, I have dove into "love" through the scripture 1 Corinthians 13. I can't think of a greater day for God to drop that scripture into my spirit and to lead me through those verses than today, Jan 10, 2017. It may be just another day to some, but to this lady, it is one of the most special. Today marks the earthly date of birth of a dear, precious saint, but it also marks her first birthday in Heaven.
It is a day that I look back over the memories, and hold them all so dear.
You see this lady wasn't my earthly mom.. though I definitely would have claimed her. She was my aunt by "title", but that title could do nothing to tell you what she was to my little family. She was not only my best friend, but was there by my mom's side as she battled the "C" word... cancer. I cannot imagine how I would have made it through such a hard time without the support of such an amazing lady. It wasn't by chance that she was able to step in when I needed her the most. It was a God-ordained thing, you know. Those times when you look back and realize that his hand was there, even when I didn't realize it was so.
I won't bore you with all the things she was to me, because I could never do it justice. However, I will say that God saw it fit for her re-entry into my life at just the right time. You see, I had no grandmother growing up so she filled that void in my life. Where was I on Saturday morning? Sitting on Aunt Peggy's counter making homemade biscuits. Where was I on Saturday night? Sitting in her lap at the sewing machine making pillows that only a mother or aunt could love. Where was I any chance I could get? You guessed it... my mother would come to pick me up, and she would have to go on the hunt for me as Aunt Peggy talked to her and "persuaded" her that it was ok for me to stay another night with her. And guess where you could find me that night? Right again. I would be eating popcorn and watching tv in bed until whatever time that we dozed off... waking only in time to get up and start breakfast and dance in the kitchen to the sound of the little radio playing her favorite Gospel selections.


As you can see from these pictures that I quickly gathered from my instagram feed, these things weren't just "our" thing. She was the "spoiler" of generations before me, and it surely dripped down into the generation after me... to these beautiful things I call my children.
But back to me.... you know, with life, there are seasons. Time passes and you find yourself as a teenager, getting married and moving off, sometimes we even find ourselves selling the house that we just bought a year ago and moving back home with our parents. Sometimes we don't know what God is planning, but it turns out to be "perfectly orchestrated" even when we have no clue it is happening. Pretty soon, you look back and seasons have changed so quickly, but you can finally see the dust settle and realize that God was doing some mighty things. For me, he found me a helper in 2011 when I stood in need of someone to "sit with" my mom as she battled cancer. He not only "reintroduced" me to that part of my family, but he gave me friends that I will hold so dear that I could never thank HIM enough for opening the doors that lead to them. I have cousins that I wasn't spending life with, but God saw fit that I would need them after the passing of my mom, and into the seasons that were coming.. the dry season where I questioned God and why he would take my mother... the joyous season where I would have my first child... then my second.. when Nanny would battle cancer herself and would pass on... even until the phase that we live now.... where the family that was held together by that sweet ladies tries to find their new "place" in this world without her here to see face-to-face... a time when that family was expected to crumble, but instead, has had her spirit with them and has soared..... Through the happy seasons and the sad seasons alike.
God knew that I would need someone to take, not only my "grandmother" figure, then my "mother" figure, and now my "Nanny" figure as my two children to grow to call her. Through it all, she was a friend that I will cherish for the rest of this earthly journey and I long for the reunion on the other side. Though she is probably giving me a look right now for posting this... for those of you who aren't aware, that's a very serious and stern look that my mother coined "the Walker look", I can't help but imagine what the first birthday in Heaven has to feel like.
Are their birthday parties in Heaven? Do you have a day set aside for you? I can't tell you that, but I can tell you that there is a celebration like no other going on right now.
Remember the story that Jesus told of the prodigal son? It was about a boy who ran away from home, only to later come to his senses and return to his father. Upon his return, his father threw a great party for him and celebrated.
Jesus preceded this great story by saying, “Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10). Sounds like a party to me!
When I think about the celebration going on, the joyous time that Nanny is having, I can't help but smile because I know that she is having the greatest birthday yet, surrounded by so many that have gone on ahead of her and were waiting as she made her entrance into paradise. What a visual! The best part is that eye hasn't seen, nor ear heard.. our little minds can't begin to fathom the awesome things that are waiting for us. I'd say that's a party for sure! Surprises, songs, loved ones, and the greatest gift of all... to spend eternity praising our Savior.
I've never been more homesick in my life. I've known that Heaven was a place I would go when I die.. I've known that I want to do everything I can to make that possible. I've read of the joys on the other side, but it wasn't until the day that you left that I LONGED to close up shop and leave this place. One day, I trust that I will do just that, but for today... Today I will bask in the memories of your presence here on earth and I will strive to pick up where you left off, knowing that is exactly what you would want of us. Until the day that God sees fit for us to meet again, we love you "BIG"... "high"... to the moon. Happy birthday, sweet lady! I know it will be the best one yet!!








No comments:
Post a Comment