Thursday, January 12, 2017

...but the greatest of these is Love. 1 Cor 13:13

If you haven't read the scriptures found in 1 Cor 13, then I challenge you to today. I semi- visited this passage on Monday, but the Lord keeps drawing me back, as if to say "there is more". You know, sometimes we have to go back and take a second look at something. We have to get a different perspective of things. If we will do so, there is going to be something magnificent waiting on us there.

This morning, as I re-visit this scripture, I see it way differently than ever before. We all know that God is love. We all know that the greatest gift of love to have ever been given was the gift the scriptures refer to in John 3:16, the gift of Life that Jesus gave on the cross.

"For God so LOVED the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting Life."


Knowing that, I also know that as humans, we desperately search for love. Anything that parades itself as love, we settle for. Maybe that is a poor choice in a significant other, a greasy cheeseburger that goes down so easily with a supersize Dr Pepper, maybe even the friend that we've held on to that looks good to the eye, but can be so devastating to our souls. We have an innate desire to love and to be loved. I read a quote the other day in a Bible Study session that said, "Lesser, broken things masquerade as love." Could this be anymore on point with what God has placed on my heart and has brought me back to revisit today? You see, we are designed to love and to be loved, but we very quickly forget what love looks like. 1 Corinthians 13 tells us..


"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. "

What an amazing thing that love is... but the most amazing thing is that it is not just one or two of those, it all these things wrapped up in one, and if we are striving to be Christlike, then we should be striving to do all these things. If I am a kind person, but I am impatient, then I do not represent love... I am lesser and broken. The Bible tells us, in another version, that love is not irritable, touchy, doesn't hold grudges, and will hardly notice when others do it wrong... I can go ahead and be the first to admit, after reading it that way, that the past few months, I have been lesser and broken.

From another perspective in the same scripture of 1 Cor 13, check out the first 3 verses..

 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

That scripture tells me that I can speak with the prettiest tone, in as many different tongues as is humanly (and even God given) possible.... I can prophesy... I can have the biggest faith (one that can move mountains even).... I can give everything I make financially and all the time I have... but if I do not have love, guess what I am "lesser and broken". Sometimes we go about the whole thing the wrong way. Sometimes we try to do things on our own.. maybe it's from the beginning when we think about salvation..

I will get in church when I'm finished sowing my wild oats.
When I get my life together, I'll come to church with you one Sunday, brother.
When I [insert your own personal issue], I will be able to get my life together, and then will get in church. I know I need to be there.  

...let me just say that you will never get yourself "good enough" to deserve God's love. There is nothing on this side of Glory that can be done to get yourself in a position that you will be worthy of the mercy that God willingly bestowed on each of us. We are each "lesser and broken". 

Maybe we have been saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost. Are we then an instantly perfect model of love. No, absolutely not. Sometimes, as humans, we try to take things into our own hands without asking God to help along the way. More times than not, I do this without even realizing it. At those times, I am living for my own self and my own worthless glory. We have all done it at one time or another, and when we do, we are trying to serve the Lord without putting him in it. 

I am gonna go to church tonight because I know that Pastor Joey will see that I'm there.
Let me put this money in the offering plate, because if not, the ushers will see. 
I'm gonna open my Bible awhile because I'm supposed to read the word. 
I'm praying for you... (we say the words, but do we really fulfill the promise to the best of our abilities?).

So what am I trying to say in all this ramble? God is perfect love. He is the giver of faith, hope, and love... "but the greatest of these is love". Here's another good quote, that I wish I could claim as my own... God's Word is "love in black and white.... a love that doesn't change, even when the Bible is closed." God loved us so much that he did just want John 3:16 proclaims, he gave the one and only gift that we stand unworthy of, yet he still did it... because he loves you. Accepting God's grace and salvation does not magically erase our suffering or cure our disappointment. It doesn't make our struggles any easier, or our sorrows any less difficult to bear... but it does a far better job. God gives us his Word so that we can daily enter into his presence. It allows us to have access to building a relationship with the One who made us and who makes us new; the One who is greater than all those things that will try us. Going to God in prayer, and digging into his Word keeps my focus on Him. It allows me to take refuge through all the trials and deep hurts. It allows me to know that he is there through the dry spells, and in the overflowing waters. He is constant, unchanging, perfect love. Even as I dig into his Word, as a lesser and broken being, I am confident in His Promises and convinced that he will continue to do the good work that He has started in me (1 Phil 1:6).

Can you look at times and think to yourself that you honestly model love as Christ would have for us to? If so, wonderful. If we are truly honest with ourselves, there is something in the description of love that will hit a nerve so-to-speak because we are each, in some way, lesser and broken. If you find yourself there, join me in prayer today over this. Meditate with me on this Word as we seek to love others as the Lord loves us. Pray that God will open our eyes, ears, mind, and heart that we will accept what he would have for us, and that we will use those things for His glory,  as he would have it as he perfects us in his love.... and if you already have that covered, pray for me. I stand in need of a constant reminder of God's love for me. Pray that I will be a better Christian.. that I will use this word from God and that God will get the glory from it all. Pray that I will love in a way that Christ loves me even when I don't feel very loved in response. Pray that I will continue to dig into God's Word and listen for his voice. Pray that I will hear the desires of the Lord, and follow his guidance, putting Him first in all things.Pray that I will allow his Word to saturate my heart, because only then may I show real love.

Maybe you don't know the Love of God, maybe you are lost and you just stumbled upon this, but you fill a tugging in your heart. Maybe you stand in need of salvation. Let me personally offer to you, the gift of love through the salvation of Jesus Christ. You see, I am nothing without Him. WE are nothing without Him. If you wish to turn your life around today, you are just a prayer away. If you wish to ask for God's salvation, cry out to Him. He is such a gracious God. He said in His Word that if we confess, and we believe in our hearts, then we will be saved. This is not what I had in mind that those scriptures would lead to, but I feel the urgency to extend a prayer as I close my blog for the day. Don't wait too late to make Jesus the Lord of your life. Today is the day of salvation. He says "Come just as you are". He is waiting. As I finish for the day, here is my prayer... and if you know someone that might need this today, share! This post took a turn for a reason. Someone that needs this will see it today.

Heavenly Father, I come to You admitting that I am a sinner. Right now, I choose to turn away from sin, and I ask that you will cleanse me, by Your blood, of all unrighteousness. I believe that Your Son, Jesus died on the cross to take away my sins. I believe that He rose again from the dead so that I may be justified and made righteous through faith in Him. I ask that you will extend your Grace, that you will be  Lord and Savior of my life. I declare right now that I am a born-again child of God. I am free from sin, and full of the righteousness of God. I am saved in Jesus name. I will follow You, and I ask that you fill me with the power of the Holy Spirit. Lead, guide, and direct me and I will be careful to give you the glory that you deserve for saving the lesser and broken person that I have been. In your precious, Holy name, Amen. 



No comments: