Lately, Kenneth and I have had thoughts about starting some things at our church. You see, our church was once known for getting today for church events with the youth.. Six Flags, camping, Lock-Ins, all those fun things you can remember doing as a child at church. However, as the youth have grown and left the little church in Po-Dunk, AL.. I feel as if no one has taken the initiative to work with the youth and to do those activities that really bond with the generation coming up behind my generation. Kenneth and I have spoken with the pastor and with each other and have recently taken over, so to speak, the monthly youth night and the last one was a blast.
After having realized that I feel.. well.. useless lately in fulfilling my responsibilities as a church member, doing my part with the youth was one thing that really changed my mindset. I was privileged enough to grow up at a time when those young adults and even elders spent time with the youth, bonding and being there for them when they needed it. I feel like if members of the church cannot support them, then who will? If they are planted now in the way that they should go and shown that love as I was as a very young child, they will not depart from the will of God in their lives.
I think there are many that think it is enough to go and sit on a church pew. However, God doesn't intend on 1 person doing all the work in the house of God. There are things that God has for each individual. From now on, I will strive to do what God has for me to do to further his kingdom and not sit back and watch those around me.
Today's sermon from Pastor Wayne focused on "The Now".
-There are things for each member of the church to do.. not just singing and preaching, but gathering trash, taking care of ant beds, etc. Do what God has for you to do no matter how great or small it may seem.
-Hear what God has for you in the now.
-Exodus 3:6 Know who God is first.. and then know he is using you.. God intends for the body to work as a whole.
-Judges 6:11-16 "What are you thinking?Who do you think you are?"If we know our God, we'll be strong. Nay, in all these things we are conquerors through him that loved us. Romans 8:37
-Judges 6:14 "Go in this"- If it is in God, he will provide. Don't worry. If God be for us, who can be against us(Romans 8:31). If he has called you, he knows that he is doing.
-David was much younger and smaller than his brothers, yet God used him to do mighty things. If David was good enough to do a mighty work in the Lord, don't you think you can be used the same. Like David, you are good enough. David had confidence that God would deliver him. "I am chosen, I am holy, and I have the mind of Christ." You come to me with guns and swords, but I come to you in the name of the Lord.
..Matthew 16:18 "..and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
-Acts 2:1 They were all in 1 place, 1 accord and had an activation of the Holy Spirit.
The church was meant to work as a whole just as the physical body was meant to work as a whole.
-"I am blessed"-put on a smile.
-Hide the Word in your heart and make up your mind that you are coming out of the past and making a difference in the present, in the now.
What can I do in 'the now'?
-Reach out through programs and activities for the youth
-Use my voice to reach out to others as I once did through singing ministry
-Pitch in to help with activities in the community
What will you focus on in 'the now' to better the kingdom of God?
1 comment:
Great word, sister! Glad you are taking the initiative where you saw things lacking...God is going to use you, no doubt!
Post a Comment