Thursday, November 1, 2012

One Spoiled Baby

Hubby and I were talking the other day, and we have discovered that little cupcake is going to be one SpOiLeD child.. and is actually already on the way to this spoiling. We have made several purchases that have been gender neutral, as we won't find out until Nov 14 the gender (if this little bean will be cooperative).
Have you really tried to select items that are gender neutral? I really haven't been presented with the challenge until we found out we are expecting. So, after scouring BabiesRUs and BuyBuy Baby as well as many department stores, I finally decide on the first selections for Cupcake: a robe, washcloths, and hooded towels set. How can you go wrong with ducks, right?
 
 
As we were looking through aisles upon aisles of baby stuff, I looked over and Hubs had this odd look on his face as he pushed the shopping cart along the toy section of BuyBuy Baby. When I asked what was wrong, I was not somehow expecting him to reply with "I think I just realized I am going to be a daddy".
 
Yep, the first ultrasound didn't do it. Hearing the heartbeat for the first time didn't do it, but walking around the overwhelming selections of baby must-haves definitely did him in. It was an eye opening moment for me as well, and though I might poke fun about this experience, in all honesty I don't know that it has truly hit me yet.
 
I have not been the energetic, feeling great mommy-to-be that you see yourself as. I have, however, been the cry at random moments, sick 24-7, spend most of my time sleeping kinda momma. I have been to get IV fluids twice, and have currently lost a grand total of 30 pounds simply because I could not hold anything down for at least the first 15 weeks of pregnancy. I still have bad days, but Praise God, there are more good days in the mix now.
 
As I sit here, where I have been since about 3 am (it is now 5:15) at the kitchen table I realize some of the anxiety has started. I lie awake from 1:00 until 3. I tossed and turned, grabbed my phone and tried browsing Facebook.. even tried my hand at Pinterest (which normally makes me conk out within minutes), but nothing seemed to block all the thoughts going through my head. Financial worries, nursery ideas, house cleaning tasks you name it, I thought about it. And, apparently, there are alot of things this girl needs to do. I just hope this is not going to become my new norm as I also have to fit 8-9 hours of work treating patients in the mix. When they say your second trimester usually brings energy, I hope my energy burst is not from 1am on.... sleep is a much needed necessity right now, and I'm hoping I get to hang on to some of that while I still can.
 
 
Was there a time in YOUR pregnancy where thoughts just wouldn't leave you alone at night? Where you had to get up and do SOMETHING?

1 comment:

Jos said...

Pregnancy is definitely not all unicorns and rainbows for everyone. I was sick as a dog until wk14, and it SUCKED. I hope that the rest of the pregnancy treats you better - I felt pretty great the rest of the time. i definitely read a lot of stuff on my smart phone at 1am though. :)

Also - you should write a post about how you got to this place! How did you find out you were pregnant?!