Monday, September 22, 2008

House shopping.

I met Kenneth in Jasper today to look at a house that I expected to HATE.
Little did I know, I would end up LOVING it. It was a very cute little house. The rooms are a little small but, then again, I am used to living in a fairly big bedroom and living room and kitchen.. lol. My parents house may not be much, but the rooms are large. So anyway.. it was super cute... and far big enough for the 2 of us.
We looked at another house, but it was a no, by far. I knew this when I threw up a little in my mouth when we walked in. It smelled like it had been closed up for, like, 50 years. No, seriously, it started smelling before we even open the door. It was very old and hadn't been updated at all. The price was lower, but not a significant amount lower. So, we quickly got out of there before we found the granny that once lived there dead in the corner somewhere.
Anyway, back to the house.. It is a white, 3BR/2BA vinyl siding house with red shutters. It has concrete circle drive, fenced in back yard(huge plus when you've got dogs), and located in town(huge plus for the girl who has lived in po-dunk, AL her whole life LOL). It has been renovated throughout with hardwood floors, new carpet/roof/doors/windows/plumbing/HVAC/kitchen cabinets... and I'm sure there's more.. but, it is 1 1/2 stories with a utility room added on. It is in really good condition and, what's better, it has been reduced so that it will sell more quickly.
What's the bad part? There are already other people looking at it! I am not going to get my hopes up because we have gotten our hopes up so many times before and the houses all fell through. So, I am praying about it and if it is meant for us to get that house, we will.. and if not, we will find out that someone has bought it and I will not let it get to me. But, we are going tomorrow to get the paperwork started for our pre-approval and to make an offer on it in hopes that he will accept and wont be able to accept if someone else wants to make an offer. We will just see what happens.

1 comment:

amy (metz) walker said...

Sounds like a great possibility!!! Your description was so cute!

I would really suggest making a "conditional offer" based on an inspection. You'll still put the earnest money down & no one else can buy it if they accept your offer, but that way you will know EXACTLY what you are getting into! Good and bad! It costs about $150-$200 I think, but if its the house for you, its SO worth it! Especially on an older home!!!

When you make the offer, another thing we asked for was a 1 year home warranty. It costs the seller about $450 but it ensures you won't have any big out of pocket expenses in the first year while you figure out the being a homeowner thing!

Our seller accepted both things. If the seller says no (especially to the inspection thing) you might consider whether they have something to hide!