Thurs was really my first day in the clinic, but considering I had my first schedule of patients by myself on Friday, let me go back and say that Thursday was not my first real day like I said before.. and Thursday was a good day.
On to Friday.. 8:00 patient was great, not too much going on there and he was a real go-getter kind of patient. 9:00-10:00 I was schedule to run over to the hospital and see as many of our patients as I could over there before I had to be back at the clinic to see my 10:00 patient. Ok, well.. the story begins here. I see some patients on the Med-Surg floor and all is going well. The hospital has a unit on the floor called Senior Care. This unit is SUPPOSED to be patients that are in the transition between nursing home and hospital... but it doesn't always work that way and MOST(by most I mean, all but one patient probably) are just crazies that have been there for awhile... most of them with Alz, dementia, and stuff like that. Well, they have a code to get into the dept that is strictly confidential and I FORGOT the code on the way over so I couldn't get into the dept... I ended up having to be "investigated" to see if I was really supposed to be allowed to be in there before they would let me in. So, jump to further in story, and I am in patient A's room(names omitted) and we are doing exercises on the edge of the bed.. patient B barges into the room. Patient A starts screaming and cussing and throwing things at Patient B telling him that he better get his D*mn A*s out of his room because he had told him before that he better not be in there again. Screaming and cussing continues until nurses come to remove pt B from ptA's room. Continuing on.. I am trying to finish up with the treatment and Pt A continues to ramble saying that PtB is not really a patient.. there's nothing wrong with him.. he's just a Hobo.. and I know he's a homo.. and he sleeps with all these nurses around here, they all should get into trouble... yata yata. Seeing that it is pointless to try to calm him down, I try to bring the treatment to a close so I can get out of there. He pats my arm and says "Oh, honey, your blood pressure must be sky high". Thinking he is referring to the fact that there was just a fight in a small room b/t the two of them, I say "well why is that?" He then goes on to tell me "because your skin is so hot.. sug, it's prolly all that meat on your bones- you gotta lose some of that weight.. it's just not good for you". Knowing that he is just one of the crazies and is freezing cold and about 6 ft and 80 lbs soaking wet, I am not offended by that comment, but I'm just standing there b/c he caught me completely off-guard! Long story shorter, before I leave the room he ends up telling me that I am rude and I don't know what I'm doing, I must have BP probs, and I am way overweight. He continues to diss me so I, in an overly friendly way, tell him to have a GREAT weekend(insert supersarcastic smile on face).. and I leave before he has the time to say ANYTHING else.
As I leave the room, the nurses are all standing at their station smiling and saying "Your first day over here and they broke you in right, huh?" I told them the story and then said(with big sarcastic smile), "Im leaving.. I may or may not be back to treat these other patients, and if I do, you guys better hope it goes a lot better than this time".
I do, indeed go back later, but everyone else was done for the day with their patients so we all went over to the hospital together.. A (name omiited, but another employee)and student went to third floor.. B employee and I went to Sr. Care and as we are walking in nurses stop and smile and one says "Look, guys she came back or more" and without a pause, I pop back "Yeah and this time with re-enforcement".
2 comments:
Ouch! Good thing you have thick skin or that guy could've really hurt your feelings. He sounds CRAZY!!! I'm sure you'll have plenty of interesting stories to tell!
Did ya'll close on the house?
Wow! That sounds like a challenging first day! Sounds like you handled it like a champ though!
Post a Comment